The consultation phase is an extremely important part of any plastic surgery procedure. During all cosmetic surgery consultations, I sit down with the patient to discuss their specific issues, expectations, and what they hope to achieve by undergoing their respective surgery. However, for patients who are considering a mommy makeover, the consultation is especially important due to the customizable nature of this unique combination procedure.
A mommy makeover is designed to help women turn back the clock by treating the areas of the body most affected by pregnancy, childbirth, weight gain, or the natural aging process. By combining a tummy tuck, liposuction, and a cosmetic breast surgery of the patient’s choice, a mommy makeover can be customized to meet each patient’s specific aesthetic goals. While the consultation is always a major step, it is even more significant for mommy makeover patients due to the additional options available. To help everyone prepare and get the most out of their procedures, I have recommended some basic, essential questions to ask any plastic surgeon during a mommy makeover consultation.
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Additionally, do you have any other board certifications?
- How many mommy makeover procedures have you performed in the past?
- Do you have before-and-after photos from past mommy makeover procedures you have performed?
- What makes me a good candidate for a mommy makeover?
- What results can I reasonably expect from my procedure?
- Do you have hospital privileges for after my procedure, and if so, at which hospitals?
- How much post-surgery scarring will there be and where will my scars be located?
- What kind of anesthesia will be used during my procedure?
- What kind of costs will be associated with my mommy makeover?
- How should I physically prepare in the weeks leading up to my procedure?
- How much time will I need to recover following my procedure?
- Are there risks and complications associated with a mommy makeover?
Remember that every cosmetic plastic surgery patient is different. While these questions can provide a great baseline from which to begin, to really get the most out of your plastic surgery consultation, you will need to speak to your board-certified plastic surgeon in-depth about your specific goals and how a mommy makeover can help you achieve them. For more information on plastic surgery or to schedule your consultation today, please contact me, Dr. Franklyn Elliott. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ for more plastic surgery news, photos, and updates.