According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, facelifts were among the five most popular cosmetic surgery procedures in 2014, and for good reason. A successful plastic surgery needs to balance the desired results with the amount of effort it takes to reach those results, and over the years, the facelift has increasingly improved this balance. The short scar technique, for instance, produces results that can take years off a patient’s appearance while requiring minimal scarring and downtime. However, the results aren’t just in the procedure itself—the healing process is an important part of achieving the best possible results. The tips below can help patients heal more smoothly and more quickly.
- Recline, don’t lay flat. When you’re resting, lay at an incline by using an extra pillow, using a wedge-shaped pillow, or sleeping in a recliner. This reduces the risk of facial swelling.
- Get up and walk around every once in a while. While it also isn’t a good idea to overexert yourself, getting up and taking a little walk around the house every once in a while (rather than spending all day in bed or in a chair) will improve your circulation, which is essential for proper healing.
- Eat healthy, balanced foods and drink plenty of fluids. Focusing on giving your body the nutrients it needs can maximize your facelift results.
- Avoid doing anything that causes the face to become flushed. This includes saunas, hot showers, exercise, and anything else that causes blood to rush to your face.
- When you have questions or concerns, call our office. Every patient and situation is unique, so rather than searching online and listening to the stories of other patients, get the advice of the board-certified plastic surgeon who knows you and the specifics of your case.
- Stop smoking before, during, and after your procedure. Smoking hinders your circulation, slowing and causing difficulty in the healing process.
- Attend all appointments so Dr. Elliott can monitor your recovery appropriately.
While all these tips can be helpful for patients, the most important way to help your facelift recovery go smoothly is to follow all of Dr. Franklyn Elliott’s aftercare instructions. These instructions are based on your medical needs and the details of your procedure, and are designed to help you heal quickly and comfortably while achieving a younger, more radiant appearance. Schedule a consultation with us to start discussing whether a facelift is the best option for your cosmetic goals. Or, to learn more about the many procedures we offer and to stay up-to-date on the latest plastic surgery news, join us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.